Boozy Hot Cross Bun & Fig Pudding
- 8 hot cross buns
- 500ml (2 cups) cream
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 100 g figs cut up
- 5 T Grand Marnier
- 10 ml grated orange rind
- 3 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml nutmeg
- 2.5 ml cloves
- 80-100g chocolate, roughly chopped.
- In a mixing bowl, add cream, milk, sugar, eggs, 4T of the Grand Marnier, orange rind and spice. Whisk to combine making sure the sugar has dissolved.
- Half each hot cross bun, and then arrange the bottom halves inside a medium-size buttered deep baking dish. They should fit snugly, so cut them to size if needed.
- Pour the custard mixture over the bun bottoms, so that they are just covered with the mixture, then sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate and half the figs.
- Arrange the top halves of the buns on top of the bottom layer, pressing down gently.
- Pour the rest of the custard mixture over the buns
- Sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate and figs.
- Let the pudding soak for 30-60 minutes, then bake in a pre-heated oven at 160 C for 55-60 minutes. The top should be golden brown, and the middle should still have a slight wobble to it.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle over the last tablespoon of Grand Marnier.
- Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with a bit of Grand Marnier to sip on.
Recipe from https://whiskyoftheweek.co.uk/